Pensacola, FL (PRWEB) July 31, 2012
As part of its ongoing efforts to expand the reach of its innovative online learning program, Smart Horizons Career Online Education (SHCOE), based in Pensacola, FL, has partnered with Ashland University of Ashland, OH, to launch Ashland Career Online High School. This new online school offering students both an 18-credit high school diploma and a credentialed career certificate will be made available to inmates in U.S. corrections facilities.
SHCOE (https://www.shcoe.org/) became the worlds first AdvancED/SACS accredited online school district in February of 2011. Career certificates available to SHCOE students include Childcare,Transportation Services, Office Management, Homeland Security Protection Services, and General Career Preparation .
Established in 1878, Ashland University (http://www.ashland.edu) is a comprehensive university that serves a diverse student population. The school was ranked in the top 200 colleges and universities in U.S. News and World Reports National Universities category for 2012. In addition, Ashland University is recognized as the nations leading higher education institution in providing outreach programs designed to enhance education opportunities for members of the corrections community.
The Florida Department of Corrections recently announced its intent to award a contract to SHCOE for the provision of online career training and high school education services to Florida inmates, said Dr. Howard Liebman, CEO and Superintendent of SHCOE. Now this partnership with Ashland Universitya recognized leader in providing post-secondary education to prison populationsfurther expands SHCOEs role in the corrections space. Our goal is to provide online high school and career education to inmates in all 50 states around the United States. This is certainly another step in accomplishing that goal.
This collaboration with SHCOE fulfills a need to work with a population that has been identified as needing more assistance to succeed, said John Dowdell, Director of Ashland Universitys Gill Center for Business and Economic Education. This is a mutually beneficial relationship in which each organization can build on the strengths of the other. In addition to extending education opportunities, another goal of this partnership is to bring about a reduction in recidivism among prison inmates.
Both Dr. Liebman and Mr. Dowdell see this partnership between SHCOE and Ashland University as a means of creating a seamless educational flow in the corrections space. Inmates will have the opportunity to earn their high school diplomas and career certificates through Ashland Career Online High School before moving on to post-secondary studies with Ashland University, all in preparation of being re-incorporated into communities as productive members of the workforce.
Ashland University has continued to build technological components into its delivery of educational programs to members of corrections systems and incorporating a career online high school is a natural next step in the process, said Dr. Liebman.
Because of its relationship with Advanced Systems Technology (AST), a business partner in the SHCOE district, SHCOE is also uniquely positioned to address security issues involved in providing online education programs to incarcerated populations. AST is a technology firm that has provided numerous solutions to the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of Justice since 1984 and has delivered online training to over 2,000,000 individuals.
Were excited about this partnership with SHCOE, said Dr. Frederick Finks, President of Ashland University. It provides an excellent opportunity for Ashland University to build on its longstanding service to the correctional community .
Smart Horizons Career Online Education, founded in 2009 and located in Pensacola, Florida, is a private, AdvancED/SACS accredited online school district. AdvancED/SACS District accreditation signifies that SHCOE and all of its schools are fully accredited and that SHCOE is recognized across the nation as a quality school system. Smart Horizons Career Online Education offers 18credit, careerbased high school diploma programs that are designed to prepare students for entrance into the workplace. Career certificate offerings include Childcare Education, Office Management, Protection Services, Homeland Security, Healthcare (coming soon), Transportation Services, and Professional Skills.
For more information, visit our website at http://www.shcoe.org, call our office at 8557774265 or email us at info(at)smarthorizonsonline(dot)org
Contact: Dr. Howard Liebman, Smart Horizons Career Online Education, CEO & Superintendent, 3059626489 or hliebman(at)smarthorizonsonline(dot)org
- Medicare Tax? Health Care for the Elderly? Let’s look at the facts about the proposed Medicare Tax … and a medical care program for the aged that already exists! What’s the hurry here? The supporters of the proposed Medicare Tax would have you believe that passage of this controversial bill is urgent … that persons over 5 are deprived of needed medical care because they can’t pay for it. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Kerr-Mills Law, passed by Congress in 1960 – enabled individual states to guarantee to every elderly person who needs help the health care he or she requires. We call this health program … Health Opportunity for the Elderly. Thousands of people every day are being helped by its generous benefits. And unlike Medicare, which would substantially increase your Social Security Tax payroll deductions, existing programs are being paid for now by a part of your present tax dollar! Medicare? NO. Health Care for the Elderly? YES! ….. 1964 American Medical Association Ad, A5157.
- The American Healthcare Documentation Professionals Group Launches Sizzling Summer Scholarship Program
- Ayusa Launches New Faculty-Led Service Learning Program for High School Students
- Health Partners America, LLC, Announces Launch of Customizable Private Exchange Technology to Enable Insurance Agents to Participate in Growing Defined Contribution Health Insurance Market
- Bounce! Trampoline Sports Announces Exciting Pilot Program to Help Kids Get Fit & Feel Great; Program will Combine Fun Exercise, Nutritional Support & Local Organic Food