Washington, DC (PRWEB) January 05, 2012
Atlantic Information Services, Inc., publisher of Health Plan Week, Inside Health Insurance Exchanges, AIS’s Health Reform Week and ACO Business News, is pleased to announce its January 10 webinar, Setting Out-of-Network UCR Rates: Evaluating FAIR Healths Benchmark Data and New Alternatives for Insurers and Employers. See webinar details at http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c2m01_011012.
Its been nearly four years since New Yorks attorney general investigated the out-of-network reimbursement system used by insurers in the state and concluded it was flawed. UnitedHealth Group and 10 other insurers contributed nearly $ 100 million to a settlement, a portion of which was used to launch FAIR Health, Inc., a not-for-profit entity that has become a national clearinghouse for claims-based data.
Today, methods used to determine rates for out-of-network providers are coming under increased scrutiny. And rising deductibles and other out-of-pocket costs are leaving enrollees looking for tools that can help them estimate costs. Some medical societies have proposed that FAIR Health (and its 12 billion billed procedures for more than 120 million covered lives) become the default data source for determining rates for members who seek care from out-of-network providers. But some health insurers and self-insured employers have come up with alternative methods for determining Usual, Customary and Reasonable (UCR) rates for out-of-network providers.
Speakers Robin Gelburd, President of FAIR Health, Inc. and Robert Park a principal and consulting actuary in the New York office of Milliman will present the specifics about FAIR Health and other alternatives being used today by employers and health plans to set out-of-network rates.
During the 60-minute presentation and 30 minutes of Q&A, the speakers will answer these and other questions:
What models exist today for setting out-of-network rates? What are the chief advantages and disadvantages of each?
How does FAIR Healths new database differ from Ingenix databases? Whats new? What remains the same?
What are the pros and cons of basing out-of-network rates on a percentage of Medicare? How will FAIR Healths Medicare comparison tool work?
How will detailed consumer pricing information about out-of-network costs encourage members to stay in network?
What are the chances that FAIR Health will become the industry standard? What must take place for this to happen?
How should benchmarking data be used to determine charges under value-based payment mechanisms such as an ACO?
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c2m01_011012 for more details and registration information.
AIS develops highly targeted news, data and strategies for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.
- Medicare Tax? Health Care for the Elderly? Let’s look at the facts about the proposed Medicare Tax … and a medical care program for the aged that already exists! What’s the hurry here? The supporters of the proposed Medicare Tax would have you believe that passage of this controversial bill is urgent … that persons over 5 are deprived of needed medical care because they can’t pay for it. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Kerr-Mills Law, passed by Congress in 1960 – enabled individual states to guarantee to every elderly person who needs help the health care he or she requires. We call this health program … Health Opportunity for the Elderly. Thousands of people every day are being helped by its generous benefits. And unlike Medicare, which would substantially increase your Social Security Tax payroll deductions, existing programs are being paid for now by a part of your present tax dollar! Medicare? NO. Health Care for the Elderly? YES! ….. 1964 American Medical Association Ad, A5157.
- H.R. 3590 – The Health Care Reform Bill as passed on March 21, 2010 — Complete text signed by President Barack Obama (also known as “Health Reform” and … Act 2009 / 2010″) 2,409 pages — Searchable
- What does this new health care law mean for uninsured people who need coverage?
- Know the TRUTH about the Government Health Care Bill HR3200 – Key Points
- Landmark Inside Story America New Health Care Law and What I-Washington Post