Question by Gods bless the USA A.R.T.: Can you think of any other similarities between civil rights and health care reform?
I can think of 2 major ones:
1. They are/were both opposed by the majority.
2. They are/were both the “right”, and moral thing to do.
It seems like the civil rights battle would have taught America that what is popular is not always the right thing to do, but apparently in America we are not fond of learning from our past mistakes.
After all, Conservatives seem intent on obeying the will of the majority in such matters as health care reform and homosexual marriage, even though the majority is not concerned with the best result for those involved.
Answer by as.erwin
If health care is a “right”, then why would you want the government having any administration over it? If they GIVE it to you, they can take it away, and thus… it is not a right.
Add your own answer in the comments!
- Medicare Tax? Health Care for the Elderly? Let’s look at the facts about the proposed Medicare Tax … and a medical care program for the aged that already exists! What’s the hurry here? The supporters of the proposed Medicare Tax would have you believe that passage of this controversial bill is urgent … that persons over 5 are deprived of needed medical care because they can’t pay for it. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Kerr-Mills Law, passed by Congress in 1960 – enabled individual states to guarantee to every elderly person who needs help the health care he or she requires. We call this health program … Health Opportunity for the Elderly. Thousands of people every day are being helped by its generous benefits. And unlike Medicare, which would substantially increase your Social Security Tax payroll deductions, existing programs are being paid for now by a part of your present tax dollar! Medicare? NO. Health Care for the Elderly? YES! ….. 1964 American Medical Association Ad, A5157.
- H.R. 3590 – The Health Care Reform Bill as passed on March 21, 2010 — Complete text signed by President Barack Obama (also known as “Health Reform” and … Act 2009 / 2010″) 2,409 pages — Searchable
- What does this new health care law mean for uninsured people who need coverage?
- Know the TRUTH about the Government Health Care Bill HR3200 – Key Points
- Landmark Inside Story America New Health Care Law and What I-Washington Post